Sober vacations can be great, but boredom can ensue without planned activities and a group of like-minded people. That’s why Choose Life Sober Adventures doesn’t do sober vacations. Instead, we choose to offer sober adventures.
Our Sober Vacations Are Adventures
Instead of lounging around at the hotel, hanging out at the beach, and binging on expensive dinners, our sober adventures seek to engage the traveler. We take you to exotic locations where you experience the beauty of the world through exciting experiences.
Sober adventures aren’t just an escape from everyday life like a vacation; sober adventures are about living life to the fullest, growing as a person, and finding a supportive community of like-minded individuals.
Keep reading to see our full offering of sober adventures.
Costa Rica Exploration & Discovery
Our unique sober adventure is designed to offer you an immersive experience in nature while fostering a supportive community of your peers. From hiking through verdant trails, kayaking in serene waters, snorkeling in clear blue oceans, to participating in daily meditation and recovery meetings, each activity is thoughtfully curated to promote mindfulness and personal growth.
Our adventure begins in the western province of Guanacaste, where we stay at the award-winning Hacienda Guachipelin eco-lodge, nestled at the base of the Rincon de la Vieja volcano. We then journey to the tranquil shores of Playa Carrillo, where we reside in the luxurious Hotel Nammbu, offering stunning views of the Pacific coast. Embrace this opportunity to explore, discover, and rejuvenate in the heart of Costa Rica’s natural beauty. Join us and redefine your journey to recovery!
The Spirit of Machu Picchu
Immerse yourself in the rich history and breathtaking landscapes of Peru with Choose Life Sober Adventures. This trip is designed to take you on a journey through time, exploring the mystical historical site of Machu Picchu, nestled high in the Peruvian Andes. From the historic colonial city of Cusco to the verdant Sacred Valley, each day is filled with adventure, cultural immersion, and opportunities for personal growth.
Our journey begins in the vibrant city of Cusco, where we stay in the historic Hotel Abittare. We then venture into the Sacred Valley, hiking through archaeological complexes and engaging with local communities. We spend a day at the serene Piuray Lake, partaking in kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding, followed by an authentic meal prepared in an in-ground oven. The highlight of our trip is the exploration of the majestic Machu Picchu, where we delve into the secrets of this ancient Incan citadel.
Our trips are specifically designed for sober travelers, and they include the services of a sober travel facilitator who runs meetings as well as meditation and yoga activities. This is more than just a vacation; it’s an opportunity to connect with a supportive community of like-minded individuals while experiencing the wonders of Peru. Join us on this unforgettable journey and redefine your path to recovery!
How Are Sober Adventures Better Than Sober Vacations?
Sober vacations and sober adventures are both great options for sobriety-focused travel experiences. However, the key difference between them lies in the activities and experiences they offer.
While sober vacations often promote tranquility and relaxation, focusing on leisurely activities like meditation, spa treatments, or simply basking in serene surroundings, sober adventures lean towards thrill and challenge. They invite active participation through activities like hiking, rock climbing, or kayaking. In this sense, the active and physically engaging nature of sober adventures can potentially offer a more stimulating and satisfying experience than the relative passivity often found in sober vacations.
Sober vacations often occur in calm, serene environments, like beach resorts or wellness retreats. They offer rest and rejuvenation away from daily stresses. However, sober adventures provide a unique advantage by encouraging skill development and pushing one’s physical limits in a safe, sober environment. This could lead to a significant boost in self-esteem, something that conventional vacations might not focus on as intensely.
Physically, sober adventures demand more. The high level of physical activity inherent in sober adventures contributes to improved health and wellness, promoting stress reduction and mood improvement. While sober vacations may also include fitness elements such as yoga or gym facilities, the intensity and variety offered by sober adventures could lead to greater physical benefits.
In terms of overcoming challenges and building resilience, sober adventures have a clear edge. Activities requiring grit and determination, like reaching the peak of a mountain, can instill a sense of accomplishment that parallels the journey of recovery. While sober vacations do provide a break from routine stressors, they often lack this aspect of challenging oneself and celebrating achievements.
While both sober vacations and adventures provide opportunities for community building, the shared experiences of overcoming challenges and adventuring in sober adventures often lead to deeper bonds and camaraderie.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sober Vacations
How can I go on vacation without drinking alcohol?
Going on vacation without drinking alcohol is entirely possible and can be a rewarding experience. Here are some tips:
- Plan Ahead: Choose a destination that doesn’t revolve around drinking. Opt for places known for outdoor activities, cultural experiences, or wellness retreats.
- Stay Active: Plan activities that keep you engaged and active, such as hiking, biking, sightseeing, or yoga.
- Choose Accommodations Wisely: Stay in places that don’t have a minibar in the room or a bar in the hotel.
- Practice Self-Care: Use your vacation as a time to focus on wellness. This could include spa treatments, meditation, yoga, or simply reading a good book.
- Find Sober Groups: Look for travel groups or activities that are specifically designed for people who don’t drink.
What to do on vacation sober?
There are countless activities to enjoy on vacation that don’t involve alcohol. Here are a few ideas:
- Explore Nature: Hiking, biking, swimming, or just walking in a beautiful setting can be incredibly rewarding.
- Cultural Activities: Visit museums, historical sites, or local markets. Attend local festivals, concerts, or theater performances.
- Wellness Activities: Many destinations offer wellness activities like yoga, meditation, or spa treatments.
- Adventure Sports: Try something new and exciting like surfing, rock climbing, or scuba diving.
- Cooking Classes: Learn to cook local cuisine. This can be a fun way to engage with the local culture.
How can I unwind without alcohol or drugs?
Unwinding without alcohol or drugs can be achieved through various methods that promote relaxation and well-being:
- Exercise: Physical activity releases endorphins, which are natural mood lifters. It also helps to reduce stress and improve sleep.
- Meditation and Yoga: These practices promote relaxation and can help manage stress and anxiety.
- Hobbies: Engaging in activities you enjoy is a great way to relax and unwind. This could be reading, painting, gardening, or playing a musical instrument.
- Mindful Breathing: Simple breathing exercises can help to relax the mind and body.
- Healthy Eating: A balanced diet can improve your mood and energy levels, helping you to feel better overall.
- Quality Sleep: Ensuring you get enough quality sleep is crucial for your overall well-being and ability to cope with stress.